In the aftermath of the tragic incident of the pharmacy students who died from carbon monoxide poisoning recently, one of the twins, Nor Aqilah Mohd Safwan has managed to regain consciousness.
According to Seberang Prai Tengah police chief Assistant Commissioner Shafee Abd Samad in NST, she was able to nod her head to show that she recognises her family members at the Tuanku Mizan Military Hospital (HAT) in Wangsa Maju, Kuala Lumpur.
“I have just been informed that Nor Aqilah has woken up from a coma. And she even managed to nod her head, a sign that she recognised family members who came to visit her,” he said last night.
The 21-year-old was put into an induced coma to undergo hyperbaric oxygen therapy (HBOT), a treatment that has been used in Malaysia since 1996 to speed up recovery from carbon monoxide poisoning, gangrene, stubborn wounds and infections in which tissues are starved for oxygen.
Sadly, Nor Aqilah is the only sole survivor. The deceased were Sharifah Fariesha Syed Fathi, Ayuni Shazwanie Shabri and Nor Aqilah’s twin, Nor Adilah, who were all 21-year-olds.
The threat of carbon monoxide poisoning is high especially in countries like Malaysia, where a considerable amount of people use cars to commute. Carbon monoxide is both odourless and colourless, and can cause severe neurological damage without victims noticing its effects until it’s too late.
To learn more about the steps you can take to prevent carbon monoxide poisoning, read this.