A short clip from a press conference held by Bukit Aman CID director Datuk Huzir Mohamed today has been circulating social media platforms.
Many netizens had a negative reaction to the video, especially on Twitter, as the content resonated with previous claims of double standards between politicians and citizens when it came to punishment for breaking SOPs – which led to the trending of #RakyatJagaRakyat earlier this month.
In the video, Huzir said that the investigation into Plantation Industries and Commodities Minister Khairuddin Aman Razali’s alleged breach of quarantine orders after coming back from Turkey has been classified as no further action (NFA) by the Attorney General’s Chambers (AGC).
Watch the clip here:
Kes Menteri Datuk Dr Khairuddin Aman Razali langgar perintah kuarantin
Polis sahkan terima arahan dari Pejabat Peguam Negara “ No Futher Action” NFA .
Kenyataan Penjarah JSJ Bukit Aman pic.twitter.com/tGIdkgXF25
— Mohd Redzuan Abdul Manap (@redzuanNewsMPB) October 21, 2020
According to Malay Mail, Huzir explained that this was because Khairuddin was not issued a home surveillance order (Form 14b) under the Prevention and Control of Infectious Diseases Act (Act 342).
“In the investigation paper that has been referred to the attorney general, the instructions for this case are NFA [no further action]”, he urged.
In case you missed it, Khairuddin, who is also a PAS central committee member, was heavily criticised by many parties for failing to comply with the SOPs set by the authorities, in particular defying the quarantine instructions for returnees from abroad.
Despite being fined RM1,000 over the incident, Khairuddin initially insisted he did nothing wrong by failing to observe the mandatory 14-day quarantine and described the matter as a procedural error.
He later issued an apology, but only after days of intense public pressure, according to Malay Mail. In his apology, he claimed it was an oversight and said he would donate his salary as a minister from May to August 2020 to a national fund for Covid-19.
When the video of Huzir stating that “no further action” would be taken was posted online, many netizens got riled up and called it double-standard. Check out what they had to say:
When a minister breaks quarantine they get “no further action”. When the rest of us breaks quarantine we get fined RM1k & jailed.
— Ezzaty Hasbullah (@ezzatyhasbullah) October 21, 2020
Khairuddin was not issued a quarantine order when he returned therefore he’s not obligated to quarantine. That’s his argument. Everyone who came back would be issued a form/order for them to sign but not him. So whose fault is that? https://t.co/dTNxGkxY3j
— (@ayshardzn) October 21, 2020
The law is created for the rich & the punishment is for the poor. Semoga kencing tak lawas, kentut keluar arang, tidur asyik kena tindih & ketiak selalu gatal. https://t.co/Fyl4zEfKMh
— anep (@hanifjamals) October 21, 2020
“Takde double standard.” pic.twitter.com/xVKlKWHfNM
— Rohan Javet Beg (@RohanBeg) October 21, 2020
Double Standard pic.twitter.com/eWfWH8jDGx
— YS ingat cap ✊ ingat PSM (@yeeshan_13) October 21, 2020
They investigated this case like it was a fucking murder crime when it’s a blatant violation of SOP and all you need is taking accountability by paying fine. No double standard my ass https://t.co/Vdlny1tzh0
— Imran Shah (@imranshah___) October 21, 2020
No Further Action?
No Double Standard!
— Fahmi Fadzil #EmpatBelas (@fahmi_fadzil) October 21, 2020
benda terang2 pun dia tunjuk double standard.
kau bayangkan la apa yang tengah berlaku kat benda2 yang korang tak nampak.
— Kenn (@kennleandre) October 21, 2020
Not surprised. We all predicted this coming. Tunjuk wayang ambik statement dan berbagai. All of you guys that got punished for not wearing mask properly, breaking mco rules, tak kuarantin and all. Remember this! https://t.co/N3ebs8ww64
— Jack the Knife (@SageCapricious) October 21, 2020