Sugarbook’s Founder Says “We’ve Lost The Battle” Before Being Arrested by PDRM
According to Utusan, police have arrested the founder of Sugarbook, Darren Chan on Wednesday (17 Feb). This past week, there have been many controversies regarding the sugar daddy dating platform that uses the tagline – “Where romance meets finance”. Since its ban earlier this week, Sugarbook has provided members with an alternative website link to access the platform.
Selangor CID chief Senior Asst Comm Datuk Fadzil Ahmat said a team comprising Selangor and Shah Alam CID personnel arrested the 34-year-old man.
“The man who is from Gelugor, Penang, was arrested in the compound of a condominium in Mont Kiara at around 4.30pm on Wednesday. He will be brought to the Shah Alam Court today (Feb 18) for remand,” he said in a statement.
He said initial investigations revealed that the suspect has confessed to being the founder of Sugarbook.
“We are investigating the case for publishing or circulating any statement, rumour or report with intent to cause fear or alarm to the public, sharing offensive or menacing content, and prostitution,” he said, adding that the founder would be investigated under the Penal Code and the Communications and Multimedia Act 1998.
Prior to his arrest, the Sugarbook founder tweeted that he and his team have “lost the battle” against the Malaysian government. In a tweet published on Tuesday (16 Feb) night, Chan apologised to his users for not being able to do more for them. Chan said,
“Although we do not have any form of nudity, adult content, nor prostitution, we’ve lost the battle.”
Take a look:
This is a developing story. For more updates, stay tuned to JUICE.