With people working, studying and simply staying home during MCO, Malaysians will definitely see a spike in electricity consumption.
Although the gov’t will be giving gradual discounts for electricity bills for domestic consumers as part of the economic stimulus package, Tenaga Nasional Berhad (TNB) advises Malaysians to act sensibly with their electricity usage to avoid wastage and to optimise the benefits of discounts.
ICYMI, a six-month discount for domestic consumers starting April 1 was announced by the Prime Minister on 18 March. Up to 50% discount is given to domestic and/or residential customers who use up to 200kWh of electricity per month. 25% discount for customers who use 201kWh to 300kWh of electricity per month. 15% discount for customers who use 301kWh to 600kWh of electricity per month.
Lastly, a 2% discount for customers who use more than 600kWh electricity per month. In short, the more you use, the less of a discount you’ll get.
While the real increase in electricity usage will only be known after the end of the MCO, you can comfortably balance the need to use electrical appliances without wasting electricity!
So, to help you use it wisely and get the best out of the discounts, here are 6 tips on how to save electricity from TNB themselves:
1. Make sure that all doors, windows and vents are sealed securely when using air conditioning so that cold air does not escape the room.
Use a fan to help cool the room so that the air conditioning temperature can be adjusted (for example, between 24 and 26 degrees Celsius) to save energy.
2. Users should clean air conditioner filters to maximise the cooling process.
Dirty filters prevent airflow and reduce the efficiency of air conditioning.
3. Avoid washing clothes with hot water unless necessary and use a full load washing machine instead of half-load.
4. Reduce the use of clothes dryers. Take advantage of the hot weather for drying clothes naturally.
5. Unplug appliances when not in use, for example, don’t leave a fan on in an empty room.
6. Reduce the time taken for bathing if using a water heater for a hot shower or hot bath.
Just by undertaking these small changes, we can make a difference in reducing our energy bills, as well as make ourselves more comfortable and bonus – have a positive impact on the environment while waiting for this pandemic to blow over.
For more information on smart energy use and methods, click here.
Stay home and keep updated with JUICE.