28-Year-Old Cook Dies From Homemade Bomb Explosion, Police Detains Suspects For Questioning

Ampang Jaya District Police Chief, Assistant Commissioner Mohamad Farouk Eshak said police have not ruled out the possibility that other materials were also used to assemble the bomb but those items may have been destroyed during the blast. -BERNAMA file pic
Source: NST

Police have detained a husband and wife under suspicion that they killed a 28-year-old cook by using a homemade bomb outside a restaurant in Pandan Indah.

The suspects were arrested in Serdang, Kedah last night after police had discovered certain items and materials at the scene which had originated from the bomb that exploded on 29 December last year.

The items in question were batteries, portable chargers, and fragments of blades that seem to have been paper cutters.

The two suspects are now brought to court for a remand application to assist in the investigation into the case.

KESAN kemek pada kereta. FOTO kiri menunjukkan sisa dipercayai hasil letupan berkenaan. FOTO ihsan PDRM
Source: Harian Metro

It was reported that police have considered the chance that other items were also used to build the bomb and that they were destroyed in the blast. It is unclear if the bomb maker had done this before, but it is possible to learn bomb making online.

Ampang Jaya District Police Chief, Assistant Commissioner Mohamad Farouk Eshak kept mum on explaining details pertaining the specific explosive used, and instead said they were waiting for the full forensic report.

“The Ampang Jaya District Criminal Investigation Department is still investigating the suspects as well as the motive.”

“We are obtaining information from the public, eyewitnesses as well as closed-circuit television camera (CCTV) footage,” he said.

Last week, the victim was critically injured when his car exploded as he was lifting a parcel from the hood of his car.

The incident took place at 8:55pm outside the restaurant he was working in and he was taken to Ampang Hospital but died at 9:45pm.

The case has been classified as murder and a post mortem was carried out.