19 Dead, Netizens Urged to Stay Away from Cheap Alcohol that Might Contain Methanol

Thirsty for JUICE content? Quench your cravings on our Instagram, TikTok and WhatsApp
(source: Phil Tribune)

When a night of fun for 51 men turned into a nightmare when it is discovered that their alcohol had turned into poison, it ended with a total of 19 dead and 14 others warded in critical conditions.

According to The Star, they had consumed three brands of alcoholic beverages – Mandalay Whiskey, Kingfisher Beer and Grand Royal Whiskey – purchased from multiple shops in the Klang Valley on Monday. While one of the victim also stated that they had bought some of these alcohol from a liquor store in Bangi Lama, Selangor.

Dr Noor Hisham (source: Malay Mail)

Health director-general Dr Noor Hisham Abdullah said in a statement that the victims showed signs of methanol poisoning. The symptoms for methanol poisoning are stomach ache, nausea, headache, blurred vision, seizures, breathing difficulties and loss of consciousness.

He also stated that in total, 51 cases had been reported around Selangor and Kuala Lumpur. The police has raided two grocery shops in Kampung Baru Sungai Buloh yesterday and seized boxes of alcohol beverages in connection with the cases.

“The ministry has lodged a police report to identify the distributor, manufacturer and the cause of the poisoning,” he said.

Hisham advised the public to stay away from alcoholic beverages containing methanol and to seek immediate treatment if they had any of the symptoms of methanol poisoning.

For more news, click here.

Juice WhatsApp banner