We’d be hardpressed to believe that Urbanscapes 2017’s first wave of lineup didn’t do anything for you but if you really (really) need further encouragement, well, Clean Bandit and Mew will now be joined by Brooklyn ambient pop band Cigarettes After Sex and the progenitors of witch house, Canadian electronic duo Crystal Castles. Fans of regional music needn’t worry either, Urbanscapes has always had a good balance of local, regional, and international acts – Thailand’s kickass all-female rock band Yellow Fang and South Korean indie poppers hyukoh make the cut on the final bill as well.
Then, on Saturday 20 May, Yellow Fang headlines Levi’s® presents: 501® Rock & Rivets at KL Live, with local rock staples Kyoto Protocol, Seven Collar T-Shirt, and Tempered Mental set to join them on stage.
Finally, as part of the citywide festival’s closing party, #UNCAGEMUSIC BLOCK PARTY, Crystal Castles and hyukoh along with opening act RYÖT JONES will share the stage on Sunday 21 May at Slate, The Row. However, this is neither a ticketed event nor a free-to-enter one as you’d need to score exclusive invites to gain entry, the mechanics of which will be revealed via Urbanscapes’ social media channels some time in the coming weeks. Fortunately, the rest of the closing party (Backlane, The Deck, and Timbre) is open to public – expect performances by local artistes, public art installations by Sembilan + friends, and pop-up bars at numerous outlets along The Row.
To get yourself in the mood, listen to Urbanscapes 2017’s Spotify playlist below:
Aside from the updated music bill, its arts and market programmes now include the following:
– Arts For Grabs: Revisit KL Year 2017; you’ve been to the pop-up arts and culture market at Jaya One before, now it’s found home at the Urbanscapes House on 6 and 7 May.
– Chinatown Chowdown; Tiffin brings a slew of pop-up stalls and takes over various Chinatown, KL eateries for the opening weekend of the festival. Expect activations at art galleries nearby as well.
– Komik Kon Road Tour: Urbanscapes Pit Stop; Funko Pop Malaysia, KL Sketch Nation, and Malaysian comic artists occupy the third floor of Urbanscapes House on 6 and 7 May for collectible trades, fan-based events, and competitions and showcases.
– Musika Vinyl Market; vinyl enthusiasts, crate-dig at The Bee, Publika on Sunday 7 May.
– The Otherside Orchestra is set to launch sophomore album Disco Chemist at The Bee, Publika on Saturday 13 May.
– Yahna will celebrate debut LP Haze with fellow DJ-producers FAUXE, Reddi Rocket, and Random K.I.D at The Bee, Publika on Sunday 14 May.
– Also at The Bee, Publika, An Honest Mistake Remix Party showcases both Malaysian and regional electronic acts’ remixes of the pop punk band’s music. Hosted by Pestle & Mortar.
– Sneakerspeek MY talks about the sneaker scene with When Scenes Collide, happening on Saturday 20 May at Viva Home Cheras.
– Filamen and its LED light and motion installation named Inbetween joins previously announced art, design and experiential event Immersio.
– WordsManifest’s #ThisIsKualaLumpur reveals Prakash Daniel, Zam Nayan, ilifm, and Al Ibrahim as part of the photography exhibition.
Full schedule below:
From 5 May to 21 May, rediscover Kuala Lumpur with Urbanscapes 2017.