In continuation of last month’s JUICE Curates, April’s edition is another mix from a non-DJ – and taking things even further this time around, the curator is not even a musician, though oftentimes he’s heavily involved in the music scene in some respect.
Visual Artist Zulamran Hilmi was responsible for the future-centric visuals of JUICE 13th Anniversary; and on this mix matter-of-factly titled Future Essentials, he does the same sonically. Employing the UK’s most forward-thinking acts in club music, from Night Slugs top dogs Bok Bok and L-Vis 1990 to grime emissaries Wiley and Zomby, Zul’s selections have the grit of Brixton’s housing estates while still maintaining a sound that isn’t stuck in UK bass’ past.
01. Bok Bok – Foxtrot (Neana Bootleg)
02. Lokane – Bomba
03. Akito – Metamessage (Famous Eno & Murlo Remix)
04. Famous Eno – Jaws Riddim
05. Wiley & Zomby – Step 2001
06. Novelist x Mumdance – 1 Sec
07. L-Vis 1990 – Ballad 4D VIP
08. Rabit – So Clean (Drippin’ Remix)
09. Letta – Where I Left You
10. Vybz Kartel – Marie (Myth Edit)