I went into this first thing in the morning on a recent public holiday with the internet turned off and grand visions of an apartment-shaking techno mix. But – naturally – that wasn’t to be and it ended up landing somewhere totally off-course; which explains the far more downbeat, Balearic-leaning set you see here. It was definitely for the better.
After several follow-up attempts at ironing out the kinks, I returned to the first take (which was actually supposed to be a random warm-up) with all its niggles, but which seemed to capture at least some of the spirit of waking up on a day off with a bunch of great records to get stuck into. Hopefully that vibe comes across!
Highlights include a brief diversion down some sort of voodoo rabbit hole courtesy of Israel’s Red Axes, a 1996 Daniel Wang classic, oddball skeuomorphism from Mo Kolours, and a deep-ish cut from the wonderful No Zu. Extra nod to Ara Koufax’s 2014 single ‘Brenda’, which should never really be used so early on in a set but proved too much fun at 10am on a Tuesday to leave out.
01. Sam Weston – Faberge Egg Shaker [Bad Magic]
02. Henry Wu – Yellow Brick [Rhythm Section]
03. Andras Fox – Ankle Snapper – Ft. IMHOTEP [Mexican Summer]
04. Ara Koufax – Brenda [Cutters Records]
05. Francis Bebey – Forest Nativity (Red Axes Edit)
06. The Morning Kids/Daniel Wang – Free Lovin’ [Balihu]
07. Mo Kolours – How I [One Handed Music]
08. No Zu – Telepathic Body
09. Penny Penny – Dance Komela [Awesome Tapes From Africa]
10. Canyons – More Champagne? [Hole In The Sky]
11. Andrés – Mighty Tribe [La Vida]
12. Jun Kamoda – Exitus [Mister Saturday Night]
13. Omar S – Desert Eagle [FXHE]
14. Alba ft. Oscar Key Sung – So Easily [Plastic World]