Last month brought news many Malaysians have longed to hear – international travel is now open for fully vaccinated individuals.
Here’s a list of places we can travel to without quarantine, along with their standard operating procedures you should keep in mind before booking your flights:
1. United Kingdom
Fully vaccinated travellers, individuals under 18 years of age, and individuals who cannot receive a Covid-19 vaccination for medical reasons who are bound for the UK are required to:
- Book and pay for a day 2 Covid-19 test to be taken after arrival in England.
- Complete a passenger locator form 48 hours before arrival.
- No quarantine is required.
However, do take note that the UK does not currently recognise Sinovac and Sinopharm out of the seven vaccines administered in Malaysia, so you are not considered fully vaccinated if you have received these vaccines.
For more information, click here.
2. Phuket, Thailand
Thailand launched the Phuket SandBox programme in July 2021, allowing vaccinated foreign tourists or unvaccinated individuals under 18 years of age to fly into the island without quarantine requirements.
The authorities of Thailand announced on 21 October that they will be reopening their borders to international travellers from 46 countries (including Malaysia!) starting 1 November 2021.
The destinations that will reopen include popular cities and islands such as Bangkok, Hua Hin, Pattaya, Krabi, Koh Chang, and several districts in Chiang Mai. To enter the resort island, travellers must:
- Provide a vaccine certificate at least 14 days and not more than 12 months prior to your departure to Thailand.
- Apply for Certificate of Entry (COE).
- Have Covid-19 travel insurance.
- Present a RT-PCR negative test result issued no more than 72 hours before departure time at the airline’s check-in counter.
- Pre-purchase RT-PCR Covid 19 tests in Phuket.
- Stay only at a SHA+ Hotel.
Get the full rundown here.
3. United States
City folk! As with pre-Covid times, Malaysians will need to apply for a visa to travel to the United States. The rest of it is pretty simple.
- Apply for a visa.
- Travellers aged two years and above must provide a negative Covid-19 test taken within three days of travel, regardless of vaccination status.
- No quarantine required for those fully vaccinated.
Visit this website for more info!
Maldives is one of the most liberal opening policies in the world when it comes to tourism, due to the fact that most accommodations are located on isolated islands. As such, travellers should be prepared to stay in one place as movement between resorts and islands is subject to authorisation. There is no quarantine mandate, but travellers will have to follow these requirements:
- Present a PCR test with a negative result (taken a maximum of 96 hours before departure)
- Present a confirmed booking at a registered tourist facility
- Fill in an HDF (Traveller Health Declaration form)
Here’s a more detailed guide for you beach bums.
Fully vaccinated travellers from any country can enter Croatia for tourism purposes without quarantine or testing. Entry requirements include:
- A vaccination certificate or proof of full vaccination against Covid-19
- A negative PCR test result taken within 72 hours prior to arrival OR rapid antigen test result taken within 48 hours prior to arrival
- Children under the age of 12 and are traveling with a parent/guardian are exempt from the testing requirement
- Complete Enter Croatia form prior to arrival
You can find more details here.
As of 20 September 2021, fully vaccinated travellers are free to enter Switzerland with the following entry requirements:
- Present Covid-19 certificate (all vaccines in Malaysia except CanSino are recognised by Switzerland)
- Complete entry form 48 hours before arrival
- No test required for fully vaccinated or children under the age of 16
For a full guide, click here.
Malaysia is currently under France’s amber list, which allows entry for international tourists with a few conditions. Fully vaccinated Malaysians can enter France as long as they meet the following requirements:
- Proof of vaccination with an EMA-approved vaccine which includes Pfizer, Moderna, AstraZeneca, Johnson & Johnson (the MySejahtera certificate is recognised in France)
- A sworn health declaration
Oui oui, more details available on their site.
8. United Arab Emirates (UAE)
The UAE has been fully opened to vaccinated international tourists since August 30, 2021. All WHO-approved vaccines are recognised.
- No mandatory quarantine so long as travellers produce a negative Covid-19 test result at the airport on arrival.
- Positive test results will have to undergo a 14-day quarantine.
Just be sure to read through these guidelines first!
And there you have it. Fully vaccinated individuals, use up your leaves and book your flights now!