DG Hisham: MCO 2.0 Will End on 4 Feb Followed by CMCO Until April

(source: Malay Mail)

According to NST, Ministry of Health director-general Tan Sri Dr Noor Hisham Abdullah said the government has no intention to extend the current Movement Control Order (MCO 2.0), which was implemented on 13 Jan, beyond Feb 4 as there is a glimmer of hope that the curve will flatten soon.

With current fears of a full lockdown, he made no mention on the possibility of it. However, he stated that the Conditional Movement Control Order (CMCO) will be implemented for the next 3 months.

“We have implemented the MCO on Jan 13 and we decided to extend the MCO until Feb 4. We do not want to extend the MCO because this will affect our economy. So, we must balance between our economy and health,” said Hisham at a virtual media briefing yesterday.

He said daily Covid-19 cases would drop to two digits by May if the number of infections manage to stabilise, with the CMCO implemented for at least three months after the MCO.

Hisham mentioned that the CMCO implemented last year was not a failure, adding that if it had, over 4 million people in the country would have been infected with the virus.

He also pointed out that an MCO would not be necessary if the public had strictly followed the standard operating procedures (SOP) set by the authorities.

source: The Star)

“However, the rate of non-compliance was high. What we must do is be responsible and disciplined by avoiding the 3Cs, and practicing the 3Ws,” he said, referring to 3Cs as avoiding crowded places, confined spaces and close (proximity) conversation.

The 3Ws are washing hands frequently, wearing face masks, and warn by practising caution.